Saturday, January 12, 2013

Frost Flowers

I thought this post was most appropriate as we've just had the first real frost of the year. Yes I know that may seem strange but it's true. Things have been unseasonably warmish so far this winter. But today there was frost everywhere and there was a thin skimming of ice on the harbour as I walked to work. It's finally starting to feel like winter out there! The weather is sublime with bright sun and a cool blue sky which is a rare sight until after the spring rains.

Several months ago I discovered that frost can do some pretty amazing things when I stumbled upon frost flowers. They are very delicate and will break when touched and are usually only visible in early morning or in shaded areas as they will melt in sunlight. Aren't they pretty?

I've never seen one in person but I'd like to.

December's wintery breath is already clouding the pond, frosting the pane, obscuring summer's memory...
-John Geddes

It is growing cold. Winter is putting footsteps in the meadow. What whiteness boasts that sun that comes into this wood! One would say milk-colored maidens are dancing on the petals of orchids. How coldly burns our sun! One would say its rays are shards of snow, one imagines the sun lives upon a snow crested peak on this day. One would say she is a woman who wears a gown of winter frost that blinds the eyes. Helplessness has weakened me. Wandering has wearied my legs.
- Roman Payne

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you for these lovely, magical frost flower photos. I've never seen them. There aren't too many things I'd love to see in person in my remaining years on the planet, but these surely are high on the list. Any particular season when they are most plentiful? I would presume autumn or early spring?
Pure, natural beauty. Nothing human made can compare!